Thursday 12 February 2009

SUNSHINE - director Danny Boyle


Danny Boyle is a top director, the man of the moment (well, some say he had his moment before with Trainspotting). Anyway, this is a man who may win his FIRST Academy Award in a week or two. He directs a diverse catalogue of films, so what about this one?


As you read this you have to realise that I'm not normally a sci-fi fan. I like easy to understand sci-fi, the stuff that is the world as we know it but with a bit of mystery or with slight differences. I'm talking about things like X-Files and Lost. Admittedly these are tv programmes but hopefully using them as an example will explain what I mean.


So then, how come I liked Sunshine (and I did like it)? Especially as someone had kind of already told me the ending.


Well, there was mystery, struggle, suffering for the good of others and fantastic music. The characters were interesting. There were less of them as the film went on, which thankfully made it easier to get to know their individual ways and made it a lot less confusing.


The cinematography was superb and the cuts of random faces spliced into the general scenes added intrigue. It even made me pause repeatedly on my DVD player to try and gain understanding of what was happening.


But there is something that stops the film that has moments of greatness being truly monumental. Well, afterwards I was more confused than when I watched Donny Darko. Some of the cinematography hurt my head more than watching the shaky camera work of Blair Witch and that's saying something. And sometimes I couldn't have cared less about characters that I think I was meant to like.


so, my rating:

4 out of 5 - watch it, you might something a bit weird that wasn't quite a box office smash. At the least it will give you something to think and talk about.

No comments:

Post a Comment